Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Into The Visible World

For Scarlet Elisabeth born April 23, 1991

And so, you swam from me,

Whistling like a porpoise, your rose-gray

Gleaming, it’s salt under my mouth which held fast

As a barnacle. I noted the tiny grubs

Of your hands, the evidence of your beauty

Plain as the hair of fine kelp, hair smoky and black

As undersea caverns. And so, they placed you

Between my knees, the drape of seasick green,

The swarm of harsh lights and strangers talking,

Yet there was the strong knotted cord I alone

Had cast that dragged you into the visible world.

They snipped it away like girl’s long braid.

I can say only this. I fell asleep.

I awoke another person.

It was then my love for you became a stream

Examining itself, its waters rushing through

Like silk while leaving the body empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment